The classic and comprehensive ski instructor training programme in the Worlds largest ski area, Portes du Soleil - The Doors of The Sun.
Our BASI Level 1 & 2 course is perfect for anyone who wants a fast track into the ski instructor industry. Whether you’re pursuing a career path after school or university, or looking for a career change, our Basecamp BASI Level 1 & 2 course sets you up perfectly for your dream lifestyle. A more intensive coaching itinerary expects a higher level of skiing right from the start and deliberately leaves time for Basecampers to make the most of the comprehensive coaching program.
We are dedicated to building students up for success and take the training side of the course very seriously. BASI Level 2 should not be underestimated but we have action plans and support systems in place to provide a good learning environment. We provide regular assessment during the programme to ensure students are on track for the standard required to sit their Level 2 exams.
What to Expect
- 120 hours coaching from BASI ISTD Level 4 Instructors and Trainers
- 20 hours coaching per week
- BASI Level 1 exam (fee included)
- BASI Level 2 exam (fee included)
- 70 hours ski school shadowing (required for BASI)
- Video analysis and weekly feedback sessions
- Dedicated trainers and mentors to help you pass your exams
- Varied coaching covering piste performance, variable conditions, moguls and some freestyle
- Teaching theory coaching
- Exam preparation
We all want this winter to be a successful one; a winter full of fun, achievement, great skiing and new friendships. We believe these can all be achieved so long as we follow certain Covid safety procedures. But we're realists too... we could be forced to cancel our courses if the situation deteriorates. Here we outline our Covid-19 Booking Policy.
On the Mountain
- Slope-side hotel accommodation in twin & triple rooms, centrally located close to the pistes, with all amenities on the doorstep.
- Half-board accommodation with a continental breakfast every day, and two-course evening meals 5 nights per week in a hotel restaurant
- A wide range of activities and events arranged throughout the season
- Full Portes du Soleil Season Pass
- Return airport transfers on arrival & departure days
- Incredible après-ski and nightlife
- Social events throughout the season
- Support every step of the way from the resort team and the UK team
This season is all about pushing your limits and maximising your time in the mountains. We’ll be laying on a series of awesome adventures each week for you to get involved in throughout your season in Morzine-Avoriaz. Here’s a rundown.
- Avalanche Course – Boost your backcountry know-how with essential knowledge
- Off Piste Performance – Explore the huge area for some off-piste paradise
- Ski Switzerland – Utilise your area pass to Ski into Switzerland, clock up some serious mileage and sample some fine Swiss chocolate
- Open the Pistes – Tag along with pisteur, open the slopes and enjoy breakfast on the glacier. Score first tracks too.
- Night Skidoo – Blast around winter trails on a snowmobile under the night sky
- Donut Airbag Session – Take to the air on a rubber ring onto an airbag, followed by group beers
- Night E-Bike Adventure – Weave your way through local mountain trails on an e-bike
- Dine in the heavens – Dine atop the mountain in a refuge cabin with your friends, music and beers
After successfully completing their course to Level 2, Basecampers can be introduced to leading ski tour operators and partner ski schools for the chance of future employment. Our UK team are also always on hand after your course to help you find avenues to work or provide references.
Here you'll find a week by week breakdown of your course.
Focused Level 1 training and personal development
BASI Level 1 exam
Level 2 Training
Focused Level 2 training and extended personal development + your first aid qualification is likely to be organised for these weeks
Building Up Experience
Shadowing week - shadow your instructor in their lessons
Concentrated BASI Level 2 training working on technique and teaching and avalanche safety talk/workshops.
Level 2 Exam
BASI Level 2 exam
An optional week to relax after your exam, you will need it the course is pretty full on! Hang out with friends, chill in the sun and take advantage of your season pass.
If you’re looking to work in the ski business, this course provides the best path into the industry! This course is ideal for anyone looking to qualify as a Level 2 instructor and wishing to travel, work and live the life in the mountains.
We ask that you are at Intermediate level or above on our ability scale. Generally having 4-6 weeks on snow prior to the course is enough, and often it is more about confidence - those who are really up for improving, regardless of their ability, are usually the ones who progress the most. If you would like to head out earlier in order to have a week or two of skiing and dust off the cobwebs this is something we can arrange. If you’re unsure of your ability please speak to your course adviser.
The Level 1 isn't too difficult to pass as it’s the entry level qualification and we generally see 100% pass rates. Participants will be assessed on their ability to perform and teach on the mountain.
The BASI Level 2 is a pretty big step up from the Level 1 and is difficult but achievable. The programme is designed to walk you through it, although it does require a level of commitment from you and you must to be prepared to focus hard on achieving the qualification.
You’re not guaranteed the qualification as you will need to pass the assessment to be granted it. The course's sole focus is getting you the Level 1 and 2 qualifications, so all the training you receive gears you up for the awards; as well as being given specific programmes to work on when you are free-riding. Our pass rate for the BASI Level 2 exam is generally around 85-90%.
All of the training on this course is focused on becoming a Level 1 and Level 2 BASI Instructor, which are great qualifications to get and a good way to get into the industry.
You will still have the opportunity to improve on your style and technique, and socialise with other like-minded skiers, with the added benefit of bolstering your CV in the process.
With your Level 2 you can teach around the world, and we would be happy to point you in the right direction to get a job.
Basecamp provide you with 140 hours of training, your Level 1 and 2 exam, first aid course and make you an associate member of BASI. Having done these you will need to complete the Safeguarding Children Module on the BASI website for a cost of £25, organise your own CRB check and then call the BASI office and pay £20 to become a full BASI Member and get your licence.
Each training group has a maximum of 8 people to one instructor, ensuring you get the best possible coaching.
Throughout the course, your instructors will be assessing your ability to make sure you are reaching the necessary standard, and all of the training provided will assist you in sitting and obtaining your Level 1 & 2 qualifications.
However, it is entirely your responsibility to ensure that you arrive at that appropriate level. We will assist in organising extra lessons and a re-sit for the Level 1 soon afterwards for anyone who may not have passed, and there may still be a chance to sit your BASI Level 2 if the instructors feel that you had improved sufficiently to be at the standard to sit it.